All times are UTC-07:00

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:42 pm

Post subject: Suggestion: permadeath.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:13 am 

I would eat my kidney for this feature. You heard me.

No seriously, are y'all afraid of unique changes?

Post subject: Re: Suggestion: permadeath.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:41 am 
Staff

We've been brainstorming and testing out a feature similar to permadeath. The Ethereal Planes, where your objectives and possibilities are completely different from The Material Plane.

We havn't considered it to be completely permanent, though, and i don't know if we'll add it next patch. Perhaps only for testing purpouses.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:52 am 

Okay. Thanks Ilutzio.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:54 am 

I like this idea. I would enjoy it.

-Velner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:24 pm 

I dont particularly like a "permanent death" but there should definitely be skill lose upon resurrection.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:42 pm 
Staff

What about Reincarnation?
Depending on what you did in your human life, you get reincarnated as something else when you die.

If you were a criminal, you get reincarnated as an orc, and have to perform some tasks to be able to reincarnate back into a human body.

If you were a murderer, you get reincarnated as a skeleton and have to perform dificult tasks in order to become human again.

If you were blue, you get reincarnated as a random animal and only have to die to become human again.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:47 pm 

Quote:
I dont particularly like a "permanent death" but there should definitely be skill lose upon resurrection.
You are oldfashioned. Skill/stat loss is the worst OSI implementation next to Trammel. It did not solve pking problem at all and overall it made no sense.

Permadeath would greatly affect the course of the shard, however, it must be noted that I in no case mean that we should add permadeath with current pvp system as it would just ruin everything. Instead, PvP should be changed and stuff like bleeding, backstabbing should be added. Plus players should be able to run intown businesses such as the banks, tailor and other shops, taverns etc. This way keeping your character alive would not only be important as not to lose him in general, but also keping the private businees with it.

Well, there are many many ways the gameplay with permadeath AND (note that permadeath is shit without system changes) PvP/combat/environment/economy fixes, would change.

Imagine being able to hire NPCs to run your business and protection racket offer from myself or I will just rob ur shop and u will lose clients and funds.

Think progressive guys. Or go play Hybrid or IPY2 or anyother typical UO shard with the gameplay which has never been changed since the release of the game.

AS IM typing Im having facebook convo with LB and we are talking about possible permadeath issue, protection racket, private busines ownership etc features in his new UO inspired RPG project. Hope I can persuade him into doing it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:52 pm 

THe only reason I even post this idea here is that this shard is super unique. It has some very persitent feature as REALLY chopped down trees etc. Somethign OSI wanted to add at the beggining. In the first UO commercial they said it will be a fully mutual persitent world...and lied. This shard is like the reincarnation of those ideas. So perhaps we can go further.

Aside from aesthetic features, combat was ALWAYS a great part of UO. And basically it never changed since prealpha. We still kill each other with no reason or penalty.