All times are UTC-07:00

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:32 pm

Post subject: Out of Town Housing
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:07 pm 
FD Staff

Exciting times on First Dawn I'd say, major changes have been made. With the possibility of a 2nd server that will be a '96 clone, this leaves First Dawn open room to grow and be formed into something that will entertain many hardcore pvp fans and also people who come for the memories both past and present.

First Dawn is like an entertaining dessert,

EnigmaUO: First Dawn - The Cake.
The House Rental System - The Icing.
Out of Town Housing - The Cherry On Top.

A trifecta that is a perfect mix for an era that has so many limitations based off playing area and the general lack of features that the normal uo player are accustom to.

Intown housing brings the city to life and brings a sense of materialism to the game, which I think is great and each plot has its own perk; better locations, bigger sizes, lower prices, some will put forth effort in attempts to gain a rental location that they desire especially if it is already being occupied.

Out of Town housing is best of all, true ownership of a section of dirt, I figure Draconis will probably set it similar to intown rentals, no banning, no lockdowns/secures, no co-owning/friending. You get a key, protect it and your belongings.

To some it up, I have my cake and I'm gonna eat it too. I'm content here especially with the new changes, future additions I would love to see would be a guild system, and if its possible the ability to remove your backpack from your PPD, that being said my main focus will be to increase the server/forum traffic. I'll spam everyone I know with links and propaganda!

Mad respect to Draconis & Staff because I know how much time it takes to build a server from the ground up.

Post subject: Re: Out of Town Housing
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:48 pm 
Administrator

Right on Denaro.

The 2nd server really is just an idea right now. I have no plans of doing it anytime soon. Im purely focused on First Dawn and it would be an unnecessary distraction right now. I do plan on putting one up when the time is right.

Out of town housing will be similar to how people rent in-town housing right now, all that protects your items is your key. Out of town housing will allow players to purchase the home rather then rent. There will be levels of decay and IDOC. There will be no housing commands, and of course no item decay either. Storage limits will be unlimited.

Removing your primary backpack would indeed be a nice feature. I was really disappointed when i ran into a client side limitation on this. I do have many different work-arounds and ideas id like to try to get around it. So we could see this soon as now i have a bit more time then the past couple months.

There has been quite a few conflicts between the staff, players and myself on guilds. While in the pre-alpha you had no in-game system or stone. It was simply a social group ran completely by players. I always felt that this is the best way, this requires a Guildmaster to really earn respect of his members, as without a in-game authority system players could easily misbehave and grief. Just not sure about an in-game stone system.
Your thoughts?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:10 pm 

All this sounds great. Just what im looking for. However, I do have concerns with housing however. I find it a bit frustrating that when you get a home, you only have 1 key, and no way to make duplicate keys, or any way of keeping the key safe most of the time. This is not that big of a deal for the in-town housing right now, because, if you lose your key, you can simply cancel your contract and start a new contract on the same house and get a new, different key fairly easy and hassle free (bit trickier if someone steals your key). I think there needs to be some sort of systems such as this on the out of town housing as well. A way to make duplicate keys or, a key renewal of some sort or lock changing system. Possibly have the bank store keys? That way, there is still a possibility of loosing your key on the way to your home. Well, thats just my input. Im looking forward to all the new features and additions!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:21 pm 
FD Staff

The players ran their own guild, interesting I wasn't sure as to how the guild system was or worked. So there were no guild abbrvs above players names then aye? More like they just formed groups, wore similar colors n etc? That's cool and it could work.

I do like guildstones also although. So to me it's really just the flip of a coin on which is added.
If a Poll was taken I'd probably vote for the stone, just my opinion :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:31 pm 
FD Staff

Quote:
All this sounds great. Just what im looking for. However, I do have concerns with housing however. I find it a bit frustrating that when you get a home, you only have 1 key, and no way to make duplicate keys, or any way of keeping the key safe most of the time. This is not that big of a deal for the in-town housing right now, because, if you lose your key, you can simply cancel your contract and start a new contract on the same house and get a new, different key fairly easy and hassle free (bit trickier if someone steals your key). I think there needs to be some sort of systems such as this on the out of town housing as well. A way to make duplicate keys or, a key renewal of some sort or lock changing system. Possibly have the bank store keys? That way, there is still a possibility of loosing your key on the way to your home. Well, thats just my input. Im looking forward to all the new features and additions!
If you go up to where the Vet shop is on newer uo in n.west brit there is a building that says Britain Lock or something like that. A locksmith vendor is suppose to be there that makes either new keys for you or can dupe a key.

I forget what you say in order to interact with the vendor.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:06 am 

Quote:
Quote:
If you go up to where the Vet shop is on newer uo in n.west brit there is a building that says Britain Lock or something like that. A locksmith vendor is suppose to be there that makes either new keys for you or can dupe a key.

I forget what you say in order to interact with the vendor.
Thanks for that. I couldn't find that npc at all.
I've actually been in that building before too and the npc wasn't there.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:08 am 
FD Staff

No problem man. TBH I had been in there a few times myself and the NPC was MIA ...